Monday, April 22, 2013

Anniversary Week: 1

let the lengthy engagement story commence:

In October of 2011 Andrew and I had talked about getting married PLENTY. I was worried about getting married so young, and initially wanted to wait longer- but we had already dated almost 2 years and I knew the whole time I wanted to marry him so what was the point? I finally gave him the okay to propose and he said he'd begin the search for a ring. I showed him a few pictures of what I liked, but for the most part he was on his own. He's a smart guy.

Around October 20 I knew he had bought a ring because he showed everyone in my apartment pictures  of it and they made SUCH a big deal of it and kept telling me how much I was going to love it and it was basically torturous. Andrew told me he bought it online and was waiting for it to come in the mail. So I knew it was soon... but had no idea exactly when. Every time we'd do something together I was bracing myself for a ring.

On October 25 I rode the bus home from school and Andrew picked me up. We went over to his apartment, as per usual, and hung out there for a bit. He mentioned that he wanted to go to the park later tonight because we hadn't been in awhile. This was pretty normal, because we went to the park allll the time through our years of dating. Around 11 pm we were getting ready to go when I suddenly remembered I had a 6 page paper due the next day. I didn't want to be up super late so I asked if I could do at least most of the picture and then we could go to the park. Poor guy. He sat around with the ring in his pocket for the next hour while I wrote the bulk of that paper.

FINALLY we were ready to go. In the car, on the way to the park, Andrew's mom called and started talking. Apparently she was asking if he had done it yet. Andrew did like a "okay mom, byyyye" kinda thing. I kinda started getting suspicious at this point. We're both from the East coast where it was probably 2 am there. Why on earth was his mom calling?

We get to the park and Andrew has a blanket and we walk over to the hill we used to lay on. He spread it out and we started talking about random whatever stuff. Don't remember at all, not gonna lie. After a little bit I heard my phone go off. I was really confused because I thought I had left my phone in the car. Little did I know, sneaky Andrew had stolen it from me without me noticing. I rolled over and there, next to me, was a little bag with my phone buzzing away inside it. It was a text from Andrew that said "Marry me, Catherine?" and there was my ring sitting right on top. I turned around and there was Andrew all cute and smiley (not kneeling, because we were laying down- but that's okay) and he asked me if I would marry him and I said yes or something. He put the ring on my finger and we hugged and stuff. A couple walked by us and he yelled 'SHE SAID YES" and they cheered. Then I said "We have to go home and put this on facebook right. now" He said "That was already part of the plan." (This had been a long time coming)

We got to the apartment, and I was finally able to get a good look at my ring. Ooohhhh goodness. Andrew knows my taste so well. It's to this day the prettiest ring I have ever EVER seen. So pretty I opted out of a wedding band, because I didn't want to detract from it. Also, the band of the ring is engraved in leafy swirly kind of things- and I didn't think it'd go very well with anything else.

It didn't fully sink in until the next day when I woke up and saw the ring on my finger. It still makes me all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. :)



Wish I had a legit picture of the band, but such is life I suppose. :)





2 comments: