Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Milo | 5 Months




Once again, I don't even know where to begin. He just changes so much every single day. Here's the basics: he's roughly 20 lbs, 24-25 inches?, wearing 6-9 month clothing, and size 3 diapers. 

So this past month was actually one of the hardest yet. That four month sleep regression everyone talks about is a real and terrible thing. The day he turned 4 months, right on cue, he started getting really fussy during the day, would only nap for 20 minutes or so, and he started waking up in the middle of the night (!!!) This was super frustrating for me because Milo has been sleeping 10-12 hours every night since he was 5 weeks old, so for him to all the sudden be waking up every 3-4 hours was just brutal. On top of that, when he would wake up I'd feed him and rock him back to sleep and the the second I put him down he would wake up and start kicking and giggling. Infuriating, I tell you. But finally, on July 22, Milo rolled over for the first time! And that night he slept for 12 hours and took a 2 hour nap the next day. So I guess his brain was just going crazy trying to learn how to roll over that it just wouldn't shut off when it was time to sleep. We've had our ups and downs since then, but for the most part he's back to a fairly normal sleeping schedule, which I am most grateful for. :)

In addition to the sleep issues, he also started having some gnarly teething pain. He was crying and chewing on e v e r y t h i n g and gnawing my fingers until they were covered in bruises. We bought some baby tylenol, orajel, and teething rings and that has helped a ton. We haven't seen any teeth yet but I wouldn't be surprised if some popped through in the next month or two!

Like I said, he rolled over for the first time! He can only roll from back to front on his right side, but he's working on front to back. The only problem is that Milo haaaates tummy time with a burning passion, but he loves rolling over. As a result I spend most of my day watching him roll over, waiting for him to start screaming, and them pushing him back to his back. It's a real party at the Streeter household, let me tell you.

Milo has become a much more efficient nurser lately. He used to nurse 20 minutes on each side and just take his sweeeet time, but now he does 5 minutes on each side and he's done and ready to play. He also gets so distracted when he's nursing now. He loves Andrew's voice and literally cannot concentrate on eating at all if Andrew is talking. Similarly, anytime music comes on he smiles so big and pauses just to listen to it. It's my favorite. 

Milo discovered his feet this month and loves grabbing them, talking to them, and shoving them in his mouth. He loves his frog pacifier (as usual) his lion, and his duck (chicken? we don't know) rattle. Lately he's been reaching out and grabbing everything. Hair, glasses, shirts, the food off my plate...He's shown such a huge interest in the food we eat lately. Anytime there's food out he stares at it and watches me bring it from the plate to my mouth. I decided to try and give him a little applesauce yesterday, since we had some, and he went nuuuuuuts. At first he wasn't sure what to think but before long as soon as he saw the spoon he would reach for it, grab it, and pull it towards his mouth where he proceeded to slurp it clean. I was worried about giving him solids before 6 months but he did really well with the applesauce so maybe I'll go out and get some more for him. 

He looooves to play and be tickled and to dance to music. When he laughs really hard he'll close his eyes and shrug his shoulders up to his cheeks and kick his legs. It's the cutest thing, really. He loves to talk and he loves having his head rubbed. He loves to watch Baby Genius on Netflix, especially the Carnival of the Animals one, which I think is interesting because I played that in symphony when I was pregnant with him. He loves being read to and sung to. Nothing makes him fall asleep faster than his daddy singing Fleet Foxes to him. He loves to play airplane, blowing bubbles, and staring at himself in the mirror. He gets sweeter and cuter every single day. I can't believe he's going to be half a year old next month! Where does the time go??????

1 comment:

  1. I love everything about this!
    And don't worry about the 6 months thing, rhey let you know when they're ready just like he did! As long as nursing him stays the main source of nutrients, he'll be fine.
    Keep up the good work Mrs. Streeter!

    ReplyDelete